Children’s Garden Fair
- October 20, 2019
- 2 to 5 p.m.
The Children's Garden Fair is a free event sponsored by McLennan County Master Gardeners in conjunction with the Carleen Bright Arboretum every year in mid-October. Get your hands dirty with Master Composters or learn about Birds and Beaks with the Audubon Society. Also joining the festivities are Texas Master Naturalists, and the Woodway Youth Commission.
Come cast your votes for the Scarecrow Contest out on the Nature Trail! Children can participate in a variety of Jr. Master Gardener activities, such as making Grow Babies, popping popcorn, and learning about propagation. Other activities include a scavenger hunt, worm composting, paper sombrero making, giant bubble blowing and much more! Enjoy fun music and take pictures in the Arboretum's beloved annual pumpkin patch.
Admission is free. For more information please contact the Arboretum office at (254) 399 - 9204 or visit our Facebook Event Page for the Children's Garden Fair.
Create a Scarecrow
Every year families, individuals, and local businesses join us in making scarecrows to line the Todd Will Memorial Nature Trail. On the day of the Children's Garden Fair, attendees vote for their favorite scarecrow in the categories of 'Best in Show', 'Most Creative' and 'Most Lifelike'. The winners of this event are announced in the Woodway Today newsletter and featured on the Carleen Bright Arboretum Facebook page!
Scarecrows are accepted at the Arboretum between October 1st through 16th. If you'd like additional information, please check out our Facebook Event Page for the Scarecrow Contest!
Full Scarecrow Guidelines
- Reserve your space by calling the Arboretum at (254) 399 - 9204 now! Scarecrows may be delivered anytime from October 1st to 16th.
- Scarecrows can be picked up October 23rd to November 1st. Any scarecrows left after November 1st become property of the City of Woodway.
- Scarecrows will be displayed along the Todd Willis Memorial Nature Trail by reservation of space.
- Judging will take place during the Children's Garden Fair (October 20th). The participants of the Garden Fair are the judges and winners will be announced in the Woodway Today Newsletter as well as on our Facebook Page. Winners will be awarded a blue ribbon for each of the following categories:
- Best in Show
- Most Creative
- Most Lifelike
- All scarecrows must be no shorter than 3 feet and no taller than 8 feet.
- Scarecrows must be made of durable materials and held together in such a way as to withstand potential wind, rain, and other outdoor elements.
- The Carleen Bright Arboretum and the City of Woodway are not responsible for any damage to the scarecrows or theft of scarecrows and/or signage.
- The scarecrows must be child and family friendly - no blood, gore, or inappropriate scarecrows, please.
- You are allowed to make and place a sign in front of your scarecrow saying who created it. No profanity or vulgar language is allowed.
- Only the first 30 entries will be accepted, so hurry and reserve your spot today by calling (254) 399 - 9204!
Come rain or shine, the show must go on! If there is rain on Sunday, all activities and festivities will be moved inside to the Pavilion! Though, you may need an umbrella to walk the Scarecrow Trail!